PNB eyeing acquisition of bank in Kazakhstan
Chennai: Punjab National Bank was scouting for acquisition of a bank in Kazakhstan as part of its plans to expand its presence, a top Bank executive said on Saturday.
"There are lot of opportunities (in Kazakhstan). A high level delegation has visited the place and it is very much on our radar (for acquisitions)" Punjab National Bank Executive Director Nagesh Pydah told reporters here.
Presently, PNB has a representative office at Almaty in Kazakhstan.
The bilateral trade between India and Kazakhstan stood at USD 5.5 billion, he said.
To a query, Pydah said it would have a controlling stake in any bank which it was planning to acquire. ``We will acquire 51 percent stake in a bank (when we acquire),`` he said.
In addition to this, the Bank would open a 100 percent subsidiary in Vancouver and would convert its representative office at Dubai to a branch.
PNB, which entered the credit card businesses in February this year, has managed to issue 70,000 cards.However, PNB was doing businesses of Rs 4000 crore from 40 million customers and many areas in credit card business were "untapped". For this purpose, PNB has short-listed a vendor to offer end-to-end solutions and by Feb next "it will be operational", he said.
Pydoh was here to announce PNB`s tie-up with Ernst and Young Foundation to offer scholarship loans for about 5000 economically weak students.
Under this scheme,loans will be extended by PNB at various centres while Ernst and Young would assist the recovery of loans. Around 350 students were given loans by the Bank, he said.
The Bank`s total provisional business figures as of September 30, stood at Rs 3.95 crore with deposits of Rs 2.30 crore and advances of Rs 1.64 crore.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India