Pogrebnyak strike gives Russia win over Serbia
Moscow: Russia warmed up for next month`s Euro 2012 qualifiers with a welcome 1-0 win over Serbia in a friendly on Wednesday.
Stuttgart striker Pavel Pogrebnyak grabbed the only goal of the game as the Russians snapped a worrying run of poor results this summer - having already lost a friendly in Iran and drawn with 2022 World Cup hosts Qatar and Cameroon in Austria.
It was the visitors who made the livelier start but Russia defended stoutly and restricted the Serbs to a number of fruitless long-range shots.
In the 13th minute Russian skipper Andrei Arshavin tested `keeper Bojan Jorgacevic with a powerful 20-metre shot but the Serbian goalkeeper, winning his third cap, deflected the ball away for a corner.
Arsenal midfielder Arshavin and Zenit St Petersburg striker Alexander Kerzhakov both suffered minor knocks and had to be replaced in the first half-hour by coach Dick Advocaat.
After the interval, the hosts moved up a gear and eight minutes in Pogrebnyak put them ahead, firing home a rebound after Jorgacevic failed to stop a powerful long-range shot by Tottenham striker Roman Pavlyuchenko.
Serbia hit back and came close to levelling the scores six minutes later when Juventus midfielder Milos Krasic was denied at close range by Russian goalkeeper Igor Akinfeyev.
In the 72nd minute Everton midfielder Diniyar Bilyaletdinov fluffed a straightforward chance to add a second for Russia but the home side hung on to their lead to seal the win.
Russia share the lead in their Euro 2012 qualifying group with the Republic of Ireland and Slovakia, who are all on 13 points after six matches, five points ahead of fourth-placed Armenia.
Next month, Russia play two crucial home qualifiers, with the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia and Ireland.
Serbia are third in their qualifying Group C with eight points from six matches, three points behind second-placed Slovenia, who have played a game more. Italy top their group with 16 points.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Finance Ministry allots Rs 2,000 cr extra budgetary grant for Chardham
- China builds massive seaplane: State media
- 'Aam Aadmi Party has anti-women character'
- WATCH: 4 wickets in 6 balls - When Ajit Agarkar bowled devastating last over against Australia
- Watch: Special 'Justice League' Comic-Con 2016 footage will give you goosebumps!