Pol leaders have always taken austerity measures: Mulayam
New Delhi: Refusing to give any importance to the austerity drive of Congress leaders and central ministers, Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav today said political leaders have always taken such measures.
"I won`t comment on what Congress leaders are doing,
but we have always followed austerity measures. I myself
travel economy class and for years travelled in Ambassador
cars. In fact, during my younger days I used to cover several
kilometres on foot during my political programmes," Yadav told
Giving example of George Fernandes, Yadav said the
veteran leader never used to iron his clothes and kept them
uncrumpled by keeping them under his pillow.
When asked to comment on Minister of State for
External Affairs Shashi Tharoor`s statement where he described
economy class as "cattle class`, Yadav said, "I don`t use
words like these (cattle) and therefore won`t comment on it."
Yadav also welcomed the Supreme Court for stopping
construction work on memorial parks in Uttar Pradesh.
"I thank the Supreme Court for intervening in the
matter. Precious public money has been wasted in constructing
memorials and parks in UP. Construction of these memorials has
stopped now," he said.
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed?
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part II
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part III
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part IV
- Why is "Make in India" given more importance than people dying of hunger?
- Rajya Sabha accepts Vijay Mallya's fresh resignation
- Swachh Bharat mission fails March 2016 urban-trash targets
- Land reforms fail, 5% of India’s farmers control 32 percent land
- Five indicators of India's looming demographic disaster
- 13 Indians died in Pakistan jails since 2013, India calls for thorough investigation