Pol leaders have always taken austerity measures: Mulayam
New Delhi: Refusing to give any importance to the austerity drive of Congress leaders and central ministers, Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav today said political leaders have always taken such measures.
"I won`t comment on what Congress leaders are doing,
but we have always followed austerity measures. I myself
travel economy class and for years travelled in Ambassador
cars. In fact, during my younger days I used to cover several
kilometres on foot during my political programmes," Yadav told
Giving example of George Fernandes, Yadav said the
veteran leader never used to iron his clothes and kept them
uncrumpled by keeping them under his pillow.
When asked to comment on Minister of State for
External Affairs Shashi Tharoor`s statement where he described
economy class as "cattle class`, Yadav said, "I don`t use
words like these (cattle) and therefore won`t comment on it."
Yadav also welcomed the Supreme Court for stopping
construction work on memorial parks in Uttar Pradesh.
"I thank the Supreme Court for intervening in the
matter. Precious public money has been wasted in constructing
memorials and parks in UP. Construction of these memorials has
stopped now," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Ryan child death: Sexual assault allegations should be probed, says Manish Sisodia
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India
- 'Bajirao Mastani' still galloping at box office, mints Rs 350 cr!
- 5 homemade fruit packs that’ll make you glow instantly