Pol leaders have always taken austerity measures: Mulayam
New Delhi: Refusing to give any importance to the austerity drive of Congress leaders and central ministers, Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav today said political leaders have always taken such measures.
"I won`t comment on what Congress leaders are doing,
but we have always followed austerity measures. I myself
travel economy class and for years travelled in Ambassador
cars. In fact, during my younger days I used to cover several
kilometres on foot during my political programmes," Yadav told
Giving example of George Fernandes, Yadav said the
veteran leader never used to iron his clothes and kept them
uncrumpled by keeping them under his pillow.
When asked to comment on Minister of State for
External Affairs Shashi Tharoor`s statement where he described
economy class as "cattle class`, Yadav said, "I don`t use
words like these (cattle) and therefore won`t comment on it."
Yadav also welcomed the Supreme Court for stopping
construction work on memorial parks in Uttar Pradesh.
"I thank the Supreme Court for intervening in the
matter. Precious public money has been wasted in constructing
memorials and parks in UP. Construction of these memorials has
stopped now," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Watch: PM Modi addresses rally in Moradabad, UP - Part II
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what