Police arrest demonstrators seeking arrest of Puducherry L-G
Puducherry: Volunteers and leaders of various
outfits on Wednesday courted arrest here when they staged a dharna
near Raj Nivas pressing for recall of Lt Governor Iqbal Singh
for his alleged links with suspected money launderer Hasan Ali
"11 organisations had jointly sent telegrams to the
President and Prime Minister, requesting them to recall Iqbal
Singh," Loku Ayyappan, convener of local unit of Periyar
Dravidar Kazhagam, who headed the stir, told reporters here.
He said that Singh had also accepted that he had
recommended for a passport for Khan in 1997.
"It is thus inappropriate to retain him in the post of Lt
Governor," he said.
Earlier, Loku Ayyappan and delegates of other outfits tried
to meet media persons to air their plea but were prevented
doing so, following which some of them staged a demonstration
near Raj Nivas and were arrested.
Police said all those arrested were subsequently let off.
The Prime Minister`s Office has given its nod to the
Enforcement Directorate to question Puducherry Lt Governor
Iqbal Singh this week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet