Police stops music at auto expo to manage weekend crowd
New Delhi: Music shows and public performances were halted at the ongoing Auto Expo on Sunday as massive weekend crowd at the exhibition became "unmanageable", police said.
"We had given permission for one lakh visitors, but their number crossed two lakh. We restricted the performance because the crowd had become unmanageable. We did it in the public interest," a senior police official told PTI.
Officials of various auto companies also said the visitors were getting out of control and the music was stopped as part of "crowd management" for about three hours.
CII, one of the show organisers, said the performances were stopped by the police in the afternoon.
"Police came during afternoon and stopped music in some of the stalls where public performances were going on. We do not know why they (police) stopped the music," CII Director General Chandrajit Banerjee said.
He said the performances were allowed later after the India Trade Promotion Council (ITPO) Chairman Subhas Pani took up the matter with the police.
More than 2,100 exhibitors like Toyota, General Motors, Maruti Suzuki, Honda and Tata Motors are participating in the Expo which will conclude tomorrow.
About 18 lakh visitors were estimated to visit the show, considered as the largest auto show in Asia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days