‘Politics being played in the name of farm-widows`
Yavatmal: The flip-flop by Kalawati Bandurkar, a farmer`s widow who shot into limelight after Rahul Gandhi mentioned her plight in Parliament, over fighting next month`s Assembly polls has evoked sharp reaction here.
Farmers and women activists have said farm activists
are indulging in political gimmicks. Kalawati (48) was named
to contest the October 13 polls from Wani in Yavatmal district
as a nominee of Vidarbha Janandolan Samiti (VJS), an NGO
working for farmers in the region.
Former Zilla Parishad President and activist Venutai
Katawale said a handful of people are trying to exploit the
situation in Vidarbha, where hundreds of farmers have
committed suicide in the last few years.
She expressed concern over the politics of election
being played with the widows of these farmers.
"As a matter of fact, Kalawati Bandurkar and Indira
Kelkar (another widow who is likely to contest) have nothing
to do with politics and they do not intend to take a sudden
plunge into politics," Katawale said.
Vidarbha Aghadi, the brainchild of VJS President
Kishor Tiwari, has decided to field a few farmer-widows to
attract public attention towards the ongoing agrarian crisis.
Sharad Joshi-led Sethkari Sanghatana has reportedly
extended support to the Aghadi for polls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!