Poll debacle: Cong shies away from responsibility
New Delhi: Stating that elections are not about responsibilities, a visibly upset Union Law and Justice Minister Salman Khurshid on Tuesday said the Congress Party will look into the entire picture and come to a conclusion.
"I don`t think this is a dismal performance and I don`t have to hold anybody responsible. We are part of the Uttar Pradesh team. We have worked towards an objective, we have achieved some, and we haven`t achieved some. This is obviously the day of the winners and we must congratulate the winners for successfully getting to the finishing line," said Khurshid.
"I have no idea about specific performances in every specific seat. We will all do an analysis and we will find out. I think making half-hearted response is to something that you have not analyzed and have not entirely understood is not fair. All we can say is we have made some interesting gains, we have had some disappointments. We will look into the entire picture and come to a conclusion," he added.
To add to the agony of Khurshid, his wife Louis also lost from the Farukkhabad assembly seat.
Khurshid further defended the role of Congress General Secretary Rahul Gandhi over the party`s dismal performance in Uttar Pradesh.
"Nobody predicted Rahul Gandhi. He led us from the front. He is our leader and I am quite sure when he speaks to you he will have no regret. Please remember what he said ``I am here for the long race, I am here for the long haul``. He has already made a difference to Uttar Pradesh," said Khurshid.
"He may not have made a difference to our comfort level in terms of number of seats that we would have like to seen," he added.
Rahul Gandhi received a stunning blow as the Congress Party was trailing in fourth place as counting of votes got underway in Uttar Pradesh.
In Uttar Pradesh so far, Mulayam Singh Yadav`s Samajwadi Party (SP) has surged ahead and is close to the halfway mark. The Samajwadi Party is at the momemnt leading in 173 seats and has won in 41 seats.
The Congress Party and its ally, the Rashtriya Lok Dal (RLD), is leading in 33 seats and has managed to taste success in only four seats. (ANI)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan