Pondy local body polls will be conducted;results before Jan 15
Chennai: The Puducherry State Election Commission on monday submitted in the Madras High Court that the polls for local bodies will be conducted and results declared before January 15 next.
A Division Bench of Chief Justice M Y Eqbal and Justice T S Sivagnanam was disposing of a petition which sought a direction to conduct polls for local bodies in Puducherry whose term came to an end last year.
"...Puducherry Election Commission can take all steps for completion of formalities, printing of ballot papers, within two months from today and then conduct the election and declare the results within three months," the court said.
However, counsel for Puducherry State Election Commission submitted that before January 15, 2013, final results relating to the local bodies will be declared.
Petitioner Perumal had submitted that polls for local bodies in Puducherry were not held from 1968 until 2006.
He said polls were held in 2006, only after a direction from the High Court then and the tenure of the elected representatives came to an end in 2011.
- GSGMC demands to remove DU book's chapter calling Bhagat Singh a terrorist
- Bizarre selfie craze: 15-year-old boy shoots self in Pathankot, lands in hospital
- Quota stir in Gujarat phase-II: Hardik Patel's PAAS to begin 'lollipop Mahotsav' protest from today
- Real Estate Act, designed to protect consumer interest, comes into force from today
- What an idea! Here's why NCP workers in Maharashtra danced in 'Nagin' style - Watch video