Pondy local body polls will be conducted;results before Jan 15
Chennai: The Puducherry State Election Commission on monday submitted in the Madras High Court that the polls for local bodies will be conducted and results declared before January 15 next.
A Division Bench of Chief Justice M Y Eqbal and Justice T S Sivagnanam was disposing of a petition which sought a direction to conduct polls for local bodies in Puducherry whose term came to an end last year.
"...Puducherry Election Commission can take all steps for completion of formalities, printing of ballot papers, within two months from today and then conduct the election and declare the results within three months," the court said.
However, counsel for Puducherry State Election Commission submitted that before January 15, 2013, final results relating to the local bodies will be declared.
Petitioner Perumal had submitted that polls for local bodies in Puducherry were not held from 1968 until 2006.
He said polls were held in 2006, only after a direction from the High Court then and the tenure of the elected representatives came to an end in 2011.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Clinton attacks Trump's outreach to black voters in new ad
- Colombia ceasefire will not stop government fighting crime: Official
- Amazon dabbling with 30-hour work weeks: Report
- Enrique's fan hid in dressing room for 12 hours
- Scorpene submarine data leak: 'Whistleblower' to hand over disk to 'government'