Pondy local body polls will be conducted;results before Jan 15
Chennai: The Puducherry State Election Commission on monday submitted in the Madras High Court that the polls for local bodies will be conducted and results declared before January 15 next.
A Division Bench of Chief Justice M Y Eqbal and Justice T S Sivagnanam was disposing of a petition which sought a direction to conduct polls for local bodies in Puducherry whose term came to an end last year.
"...Puducherry Election Commission can take all steps for completion of formalities, printing of ballot papers, within two months from today and then conduct the election and declare the results within three months," the court said.
However, counsel for Puducherry State Election Commission submitted that before January 15, 2013, final results relating to the local bodies will be declared.
Petitioner Perumal had submitted that polls for local bodies in Puducherry were not held from 1968 until 2006.
He said polls were held in 2006, only after a direction from the High Court then and the tenure of the elected representatives came to an end in 2011.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state