Pondy Minister says he received threat to life
Puducherry: A minister and a legislator told
Puducherry Assembly on Wednesday that they had received threats to
their lives, prompting Chief Minister V Vaithilingam to assure
stringent action against persons involved.
After Opposition leader A M H Nazeem (DMK) raised the
issue, Welfare Minister M Kandasamy admitted he had been
facing such threats for some time. Even yesterday some of his
followers informed him that a group of persons was planning to
Stating that he did not want to disclose names of those
who gave him the information as they would face problem, the
minister said he had immediately passed it on to the Director
General of Police.
As members cutting across party lines expressed concern
over the threat, government Whip P Angalane (Congress) also
disclosed he too had received four letters of threat during
the last few days and he had handed them over to the DGP.
In his intervention, Vaithilingam assured that the
government would never be slack in taking stringent action
against culprits posing threat to ministers, elected
representatives and the public at large.
Opposition AIADMK and other members said if a minister’s
life was under threat one was left wondering as to what would
happen to common man in Puducherry.
Home Minister E Valsaraj, on a direction from Speaker R
Radhakrishnan, said he came to know about the threat to
Kandasamy`s life just an hour before the assembly session
Valsaraj said he would immediately convene a high level
meeting of officials and assured the House that none would go
scot free. A detailed investigation would be made to identify
the persons planning to do away with Kandasamy.
The Speaker also expressed his dismay as to why there was
delay in providing security to Angalane although he had made
representations to the police.
Most of the members also said steps should be expedited
for implementation of the Goondas Act Bill, passed in the last
session to deal with hardcore criminals and wanted setting up
of jammers in the jail premises, saying inmates of the prison
were behind the evil designs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars