Pondy oppn call for bandh on April 27 seeking Lt Guv`s recall
Puducherry: The opposition parties in
Puducherry have called for a dawn-to-dusk bandh here on
April 27 demanding recall of Lt Governor Iqbal Singh who they
alleged is embroiled in "various controversies."
A resolution adopted at the end of the meeting here
today, attended by AIADMK, All India N R Congress and left
parties, among others, said the bandh has been called to
protest Iqbal Singh continuing in office "despite several
controversies, including the one relating to South Education
Trust in which his relatives are allegedly members."
The Trust had obtained certificates to go ahead with its
medical college project without adhering to formal procedures,
CPI local committee secretary N Kalainathan alleged.
The meeting demanded that Singh step down on his own or
else the President should intervene and recall him without
loss of time, he told reporters.
Those who attended the meeting included AIADMK unit
secretary A Anbalagan, AINRC secretary V Bhalane, Kalainathan
and CPI (M) leaders V Perumal and T Murugan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa