Poonia, Abraham happy with Arjuna award honour
New Delhi: Top Indian athletes Joseph Abraham and Krishna Poonia today expressed gratitude to the government for selecting them for the Arjuna award and said this would motivate them to do better for the country.
Discus thrower Poonia, who won gold in the Asian All Star Athletics Meet here, said her efforts for eight years got recognition from the government.
"I am very happy that I got the award. I thanked the government for the honour, it will motivate me in doing better," she said at the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium.
"The efforts in my eight year career has got recognition. I am looking forward to doing well in the Commonwealth Games and Asian Games later this yaer," said Poonia, who today threw 60.93m.
Asked about her medal prospects in the Commonwealth Games, she said, "I know it will be tough but if I can do my best of 63.69m I think I have a chance to win a medal."
400m hurdler Abraham said he was expecting the award after his name had been recommended by the Athletics Federation of India.
"I am extremely happy that I got the award. I was confident that I would win the award," he said.
Abraham, who won the race today with a timing of 50.87 said he thought he would run sub 50 seconds but he slowed down towards the home stretch.
"The track was fast and I started very strongly but could not maintain the tempo till the end. I thought I would run sub 50 seconds but could not," he said.
Abraham, who held the national record in 400m hurdle with a timing of 49.51sec, said if he could run at his national mark or better, he has a chance to win a medal in the October 3-14 Commonwealth Games here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt