Poonia, Abraham happy with Arjuna award honour
New Delhi: Top Indian athletes Joseph Abraham and Krishna Poonia today expressed gratitude to the government for selecting them for the Arjuna award and said this would motivate them to do better for the country.
Discus thrower Poonia, who won gold in the Asian All Star Athletics Meet here, said her efforts for eight years got recognition from the government.
"I am very happy that I got the award. I thanked the government for the honour, it will motivate me in doing better," she said at the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium.
"The efforts in my eight year career has got recognition. I am looking forward to doing well in the Commonwealth Games and Asian Games later this yaer," said Poonia, who today threw 60.93m.
Asked about her medal prospects in the Commonwealth Games, she said, "I know it will be tough but if I can do my best of 63.69m I think I have a chance to win a medal."
400m hurdler Abraham said he was expecting the award after his name had been recommended by the Athletics Federation of India.
"I am extremely happy that I got the award. I was confident that I would win the award," he said.
Abraham, who won the race today with a timing of 50.87 said he thought he would run sub 50 seconds but he slowed down towards the home stretch.
"The track was fast and I started very strongly but could not maintain the tempo till the end. I thought I would run sub 50 seconds but could not," he said.
Abraham, who held the national record in 400m hurdle with a timing of 49.51sec, said if he could run at his national mark or better, he has a chance to win a medal in the October 3-14 Commonwealth Games here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists?
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part II
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part III
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part IV
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families?
- Assam floods: CM Sarbananda Sonowal sends ministers to districts
- I'll be expected to deliver bigger film after 'Sultan': Ali Abbas Zafar
- I can never be disciplined like Aamir, says Shah Rukh Khan
- Sensex adds to gains for 2nd day, Nifty hits 15-month high
- Narsingh Yadav doping row: NADA hearing concludes, judgement either on Saturday or Monday