Portsmouth given permission to sell players
London: Debt-ridden Portsmouth have been given special permission to sell players outside the transfer window, the Premier League said.
Portsmouth, who had nine points deducted last week after going into administration, are almost certain to be relegated but the relaxation of the League`s transfer rules means the club can raise revenue by selling players this season.
The League said any players Portsmouth sell will not be allowed to play for their new clubs this season.
"The Premier League Board meeting that convened last week to consider the administration of Portsmouth FC dealt with a number of matters beyond just the application of the sporting sanction (deduction of nine points)," a statement said.
"In accordance with Premier League rules, postponement of the suspension of Portsmouth FC as a member club was conditional on a number of undertakings being given by the administrators.”
"These have now been received to the satisfaction of the Board and therefore it has been decided to allow Portsmouth FC to make player sales under the following circumstances," added the statement which said players sold to the Football League or to a foreign club will need FIFA approval.
Portsmouth, who are marooned at the bottom of the table but have reached the FA Cup semi-finals, became the first Premier League club to enter administration after their debts soared to about 78 million pounds (USD 117 million).
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know