Portsmouth start is worst in top flight for 79 years
Portsmouth: Portsmouth`s 1-0 defeat at home to Everton meant the struggling south coast club became the first English top flight side to lose their opening seven games of the season for 79 years.
They are only the fourth team in the top division to suffer such an ignominious start and the first since Manchester United in 1930-31, who were relegated after losing their opening 12 matches.
Bolton Wanderers (1902-03) and Liverpool (1899-1900) also started a campaign with seven consecutive defeats.
One day after Portsmouth owner Sulaiman al-Fahim said he would inject 50 million pounds (USD 79.94 million) into the club, Everton`s Louis Saha struck just before halftime to prolong the agony of home fans at Fratton Park.
Portsmouth`s pre-season was overshadowed by doubts over the club`s financial position and manager Paul Hart, who saved the team from relegation last season, was powerless as several of his best players were sold.
Despite the terrible start, Hart remained upbeat on Saturday. "We created a lot of chances and played tremendously well," he told the club`s website.
"We`re shooting ourselves in the foot but if we retain the same spirit and get down to work on Monday morning then it`s inevitable that we`ll turn it round."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Bihar intermediate result 2015 (commerce) on biharboard.ac.in