Portsmouth stay in FA Cup with last-gasp winner
London: South African Aaron Mokoena scored in the dying seconds of extra time to break Coventry City hearts and send cash-strapped Portsmouth through to the fourth round of the FA Cup.
Championship (second division) Coventry were leading 1-0 and on the verge of dumping the 2008 winners out of the cup when captain Stephen Wright threw the visitors a lifeline with a 90th-minute own goal.
With penalties looming after a deadlocked extra time, Mokoena headed home to earn his side a 2-1 win and revive hopes of another lucrative Cup run for the Premier League`s bottom club who next play Sunderland.
"It was very important that we won this game so we can build from it. We needed it badly," midfielder Mokoena told reporters after his first goal for the club.
Birmingham City, the only other Premier League club in action, set up a fourth-round clash at last year`s losing finalists Everton after ending Nottingham Forest`s 18-match unbeaten run with a 1-0 win.
Barry Ferguson broke the deadlock against the run of play with a left-footed shot in the 62nd minute, sending the in-form Premier League side through at the expense of their Championship visitors.
Birmingham also had a Cameron Jerome effort cleared off the line in the closing minutes of the third-round replay at St Andrew`s.
Sheffield United earned a ticket to Premier League Bolton Wanderers after beating Championship rivals Queens Park Rangers 3-2 in a replay at Loftus Road featuring a flurry of three goals in the space of four second-half minutes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan Lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India