Portsmouth stay in FA Cup with last-gasp winner
London: South African Aaron Mokoena scored in the dying seconds of extra time to break Coventry City hearts and send cash-strapped Portsmouth through to the fourth round of the FA Cup.
Championship (second division) Coventry were leading 1-0 and on the verge of dumping the 2008 winners out of the cup when captain Stephen Wright threw the visitors a lifeline with a 90th-minute own goal.
With penalties looming after a deadlocked extra time, Mokoena headed home to earn his side a 2-1 win and revive hopes of another lucrative Cup run for the Premier League`s bottom club who next play Sunderland.
"It was very important that we won this game so we can build from it. We needed it badly," midfielder Mokoena told reporters after his first goal for the club.
Birmingham City, the only other Premier League club in action, set up a fourth-round clash at last year`s losing finalists Everton after ending Nottingham Forest`s 18-match unbeaten run with a 1-0 win.
Barry Ferguson broke the deadlock against the run of play with a left-footed shot in the 62nd minute, sending the in-form Premier League side through at the expense of their Championship visitors.
Birmingham also had a Cameron Jerome effort cleared off the line in the closing minutes of the third-round replay at St Andrew`s.
Sheffield United earned a ticket to Premier League Bolton Wanderers after beating Championship rivals Queens Park Rangers 3-2 in a replay at Loftus Road featuring a flurry of three goals in the space of four second-half minutes.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case