Portsmouth stay in FA Cup with last-gasp winner
London: South African Aaron Mokoena scored in the dying seconds of extra time to break Coventry City hearts and send cash-strapped Portsmouth through to the fourth round of the FA Cup.
Championship (second division) Coventry were leading 1-0 and on the verge of dumping the 2008 winners out of the cup when captain Stephen Wright threw the visitors a lifeline with a 90th-minute own goal.
With penalties looming after a deadlocked extra time, Mokoena headed home to earn his side a 2-1 win and revive hopes of another lucrative Cup run for the Premier League`s bottom club who next play Sunderland.
"It was very important that we won this game so we can build from it. We needed it badly," midfielder Mokoena told reporters after his first goal for the club.
Birmingham City, the only other Premier League club in action, set up a fourth-round clash at last year`s losing finalists Everton after ending Nottingham Forest`s 18-match unbeaten run with a 1-0 win.
Barry Ferguson broke the deadlock against the run of play with a left-footed shot in the 62nd minute, sending the in-form Premier League side through at the expense of their Championship visitors.
Birmingham also had a Cameron Jerome effort cleared off the line in the closing minutes of the third-round replay at St Andrew`s.
Sheffield United earned a ticket to Premier League Bolton Wanderers after beating Championship rivals Queens Park Rangers 3-2 in a replay at Loftus Road featuring a flurry of three goals in the space of four second-half minutes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- LIVE: Jayalalithaa's condition critical after suffering cardiac arrest, huge crowd gathers outside Apollo hospital
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender