Portugal sack coach Queiroz, says federation
Lisbon: Portugal coach Carlos Queiroz was sacked by the Portuguese Football Federation (FPF) on Thursday in the wake of his six-month ban for insulting anti-doping agents before this year`s World Cup.
"Given recent events, the FPF directors decided unanimously to settle (end) Carlos Queiroz`s contract with immediate effect," FRF president Gilberto Madail told a news conference.
"This decision has been communicated to Carlos Queiroz, who will receive the reasons for the decision first hand," he added.
The federation had given the coach, who had two years left on his contract, a one-month ban in late August but Portugal`s anti-doping authority later extended that to six months.
Queiroz admitted exchanging harsh words with anti-doping doctors during their surprise visit to Portugal`s training camp in May.
However, the coach said he was simply expressing his annoyance at having his players` rest disturbed and had vowed to appeal the ban at the Court of Arbitration for Sport.
Madail said the FPF will begin searching for a replacement to take charge of the team before next month`s Euro 2012 qualifiers at home to Denmark and away to Iceland.
Portugal are second from bottom of Group H with one point from their first two qualifiers having lost 1-0 in Norway on Tuesday following a 4-4 draw at home to Cyprus on Friday.
Their poor start occurred with the team`s key player, winger Cristiano Ronaldo, missing because of an ankle injury and with the banned Queiroz having to watch from the stands.
Agostinho Oliveira, who took charge as interim coach, said the controversy surrounding Queiroz was not the reason for the team`s poor performance in their opening match.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump