Portugal wins to set up U20 final against Brazil
Medellin: Portugal will meet Brazil in an Under-20 World Cup final which will feature the tournament`s best defensive team against its most potent attacking combination.
Portugal defeated France 2-0 in Medellin with its stout defence and goalkeeper Mika registering their sixth straight clean sheet in the 3½-week tournament.
"I don`t know of any team that has gone into a final without giving up a goal," Portugal coach Ilidio Vale said. "This needs to be appreciated. We`ve had a great World Cup and we scored two goals today to answer critics who said we could not score."
Vale brushed off suggestions that his team, which has only scored five goals, does not belong in the final.
"The team plays with great organization, great heart and it plays smart," he said.
In the other semifinal, Henrique scored twice in the last 10 minutes to lift Brazil to a 2-0 victory over Mexico in Pereira. Henrique has five goals and shares the tournament scoring lead with Alvaro Vazquez of Spain.
Brazil has scored a tournament-best 15 goals so far. Philippe Coutinho and Dudu have three each.
Henrique scored with a header in the 80th minute and then slotted home an 8-yard shot from a cross for an insurance goal.
"In all games of the tournament we have used a strategy of trying to wear down the opponent," Brazil coach Ney Franco said. "In the second half we have sent in better technical players to finish the job."
Brazil will be chasing its fifth U-20 title and Portugal will be after its third when the teams clash in Colombia`s capital of Bogota. Brazil lost the final two years ago to Ghana in Egypt
Saturday`s game will come 20 years after the previous Under-20 final between former colony and colonizer, which Portugal won on penalties with a team that boasted Luis Figo, Rui Costa and Joao Pinto.
In the first semifinal, Danilo gave Portugal a 1-0 lead on a leaping header in the 9th minute, and Nelson Oliveira made it 2-0 on a penalty in the 40th. France was in the U-20 semifinals for the first time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt