Portuguese veteran Nuno Gomes joins Braga
Madrid: Former Portugal striker Nuno Gomes has joined Europa League runners-up Sporting Braga on a one-year contract, the Portuguese club announced.
"For Braga it`s very good to have a player with the past and the image of Nuno Gomes," said Braga president Antonio Salvador, whose team finished fourth in the Portuguese championship last season.
The 34-year-old Nuno Gomes, who won 77 Portugal caps, left Benfica earlier this month.
Benfica had offered Gomes a back-room role at the club but at the time he said he hoped to continue playing "for at least an extra season".
The former Benfica captain made just six league appearances last season but still managed to score four goals.
Gomes began his career with Boavista in 1994 and joined Benfica in 1997, returning to the Lisbon club in 2002 after two seasons with Fiorentina in Italy.
He won two league titles with Benfica and is also the fourth-highest goalscorer in the history of the Portuguese national team with 29 goals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'