POSCO activist: 1,000 ready to sacrifice lives
Bhubaneswar: The CPI backed POSCO Pratirodh Sangram Samiti (PPSS) on Saturday said at least 1,000 of its members were ready to sacrifice their lives to oppose the South Korean steel major`s steel mill on their `fertile land` near Paradip.
"We are ready to die than give an inch of land for industry in three gram panchayats under Kujang block near Paradip in Jagtsinghpur district," PPSS president Abhay Sahu told reporters a day after being released from jail on conditional bail.
Sahu said that the opposition was not to industrialisation, but to industries on multi-crop land. Replying a question Sahu said he might not visit to Dhinkia gram panchayat area in view of conditions put by the Orissa High Court, but the agitation would continue.
He appealed to the state government and others associated with the project to shift it for villagers to live in peace.
The opposition by villagers has prevented acquisition of land even three years after POSCO-India signed MoU with the state government on June 22, 2005.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister