Powell injury clouds London meet
London: Asafa Powell, the fastest man in the world this year, withdrew from the London Diamond League meeting just hours before he was due to run in the 100 metres at Crystal Palace on Friday.
The Jamaican said he could not afford to risk a troublesome groin injury ahead of the World Championships in Daegu, South Korea, later this month.
"I`ve had some tightness in my groin since (competing in) Budapest last weekend," 28-year-old Powell said.
"I had hoped that it would have cleared by now but it`s still there. I`ve been seeking treatment but had to make the decision today (Friday) to withdraw.”
"I am focusing on Daegu and as much as I`d like to run tonight, I just can`t take the risk with the major championships three weeks away," added Powell, yet to win a major sprint gold medal.
On the track, Kenyan 800m world record holder David Rudisha marked his British debut by setting a new UK all-comers` record of 1min 42.91 seconds.
Rudisha took over from the pacemaker at the bell and held off Abubaker Kaki to extend his unbeaten run to 30 races, beating Steve Cram`s previous record of 1min 43.22secs which was set back in 1986.
"I was feeling in great shape, I knew I was going to break this record and run 1:42," Rudisha said.
"I tried to control the race all the way. The world championships is my major target this year."
In the women`s 400m hurdles, Jamaica`s Kaliese Spencer clocked the fastest time in two years and 10th best of all time when she stormed to victory in 52.79sec, finishing ahead of compatriot and Olympic and world champion Melaine Walker.
"I`m in great shape. I wanted a personal best. There`s three more weeks before the world championships and I am hopeful of putting in a faster time," said Spencer.
"I will be focussing on the win and if the time comes with it, then great."
Walker clocked 53.90sec with Britain`s Perri Shakes-Drayton claiming third in 54.62sec.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'