Pranab for deepening markets to withstand global shocks
New Delhi: A robust domestic demand will be key to withstanding the shocks and uncertainties that come with a global economy, Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee said on Friday.
"We have to deepen and broaden the domestic market, so that we can ride the shocks and uncertainties of the global economy just as well as the periods of expansion and boom," Mukherjee said at the 88th Annual Function of Assocham here.
"This requires that we take a balanced, broad-based approach to our development process, an approach that is well captured by the idea of garland of grids," he said.
Steps have to be taken to allow the economy to develop spatially and synergistically across different sectors to ensure that overall sustainability of the growth process and a quality of life that the `Aam Aadmi` aspires for.
Speaking on the health of the economy, the Finance Minister said the Gross Domestic Product has grown at 8.5 percent in the past few year, although there was a significant dip in the rate in 2008-09, owing to the global meltdown.
But even then, the country has succeeded in significantly raising the growth rate and sustaining the momentum of the economy, he said, adding, savings and investment rates have picked up.
The industrial sector has shown the capacity to compete with the best in the world and there is a steady expansion of the domestic demand, the minister said.
"Most importantly, the revenue buoyancy in the wake of this growth has come with a renewed public capacity to address the chronic problems of unemployment and poverty that have plagued our economy and the society," he said.
Speaking about the challenges and the opportunities of development in a globalised era, Mukherjee said, sustaining high growth over an extended period has become more complex.
The last two years have been difficult for the Indian economy, which was otherwise experiencing an unprecedented spurt in growth.
Mukherjee also said that the proposed direct tax law would be implemented in 2011.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video