Pranab Mukherjee rules out special status to Goa
Panaji: Ruling out the possibility of a
special status to Goa, Union Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee
today said that no new state would be added to the special
"Special category status does not depend on Centre.
Decisions on such matter are taken in National Development
Council (NDC) which comprises of all Chief Ministers and Union
Cabinet ministers," he said at a press conference here.
"So far, it is the decision of NDC that no new state will
be added to special category. States can always be entitled to
special assistance," he said.
Goa has been demanding special status category on par
with the one given to North Eastern states.
UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi had during a 2007 election
rally promised special status to the state. She, however, had
refused to comment on issue during her recent rally.
Mukherjee said that Goa, which has missed two five year
plans, has been provided special assistance.
"We are providing special assistance to the state so that
large number of projects could be implemented," he said,
adding that the state was also exposed to institutions like
Mukherjee said Goa was given Rs 1,727 crore as part of
the 12th Five Year Plan.
"The assistance has been increased to Rs 4,372 crore in
the 13th Five Year plan, which is 153 per cent more than the
earlier plan," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister