Pranab refuses special status for Goa
Panaji: Union Finance Minister Pranab
Mukherjee on Saturday refused to concede to the demand of special
status for Goa, which has been raised by state government
since last six months.
"Each state has its own problems. Goa has missed two
planning commissions. Its not necessary that one formula can
be applicable to all the states," Mukherjee said during an
interaction with industry captains in Panaji.
The minister was replying to a question whether the
coastal state will get special status category par with
Himachal Pradesh which will give tax exemption to boost the
industrial investments here.
The Finance Minister said that the finance commission is
working out `something for all the states depending on their
demand`. He, however, refused to concede to the demand of
Mukherjee attended an interactive session hosted by Chief
Minister Digamber Kamat, which was also attended by
The Finance Minister refrained from replying questions
regarding the taxes contending that `since Parliament is in
session, he cannot make any statement outside the House.
Goa has been demanding special status to revitalise its
sagging industrial sector. The state has asked for the tax
rebate for the industries and also protection to its resources
considering the limited geographical area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video