Pranab warns against volatility, asset price bubble
Colombo: Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee
today said the world economy is showing signs of recovery, but
warned against formation of asset price-bubbles and volatility
in the currency market.
"The world economy is showing signs of recovery ... the
risks, however, remain and the recovery would be a razor-edge
walk, especially because the signs of asset price-bubble and
heightened carry-trade activity are re-emerging," he said.
Mukherjee, who is on a two-day visit to Sri Lanka, made
these remarks while delivering the fourth LK Memorial Lecture
in honour of Sri Lankan leader Dr Lakshman Kadirgamar.
Carry-trade usually refers to speculative trade
activities in currencies and commodities. It is feared that
speculative capital flows can have adverse implications on
the forex and equity markets in the developing nations.
The Finance Minister`s statement comes just a day after
International Monetary Fund Managing Director Dominique
Strauss-Kahn had warned that the surge in capital flows into
the developing countries could destabilise local currencies
and asset prices.
"While capital inflows are generally beneficial, they can
raise risks of rapid and potentially destabilising movements
of currencies and asset prices...The resurgence of capital
flows into emerging markets, including several in Asia, is
presenting policy challenges," Strauss-Kahn had warned.
Mukherjee said the global output is expected to expand by
3.1 per cent in 2010, wherein the developed countries as a
group could grow at 1.3 per cent and the emerging and
developing economies could grow by 5.1 per cent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH