Premji for anti-protectionism pressure on US
Bangalore: Wipro chairman Azim Premji on Wednesday
said India should continue to exert pressure on the United
States not to switch over to an era of protectionism.
Premji said the visit of the US Secretary of State
Hillary Clinton to India had stated that Washington would not
"switch over to protectionism".
"I think our Prime Minister (Manmohan Singh) and the
External Affairs Minister (S M Krishna) have taken this up at
the appropriate levels in Washington", he told reporters in
response to questions. "The Prime Minister has taken this up
three times with President Barack Obama," he said.
So, as of now, the issue seemed to have been contained,
the Chairman of the software major, listed on New York Stock
"But one should be alert to the fact that the US is
facing an unprecedented degree of unemployment...excess of 9.8
per cent", Premji said, adding, one should continue to keep
the pressure on the US not to "switch over to the methodology
He also said Wipro was taking proactive steps to increase
the number of local people in its workforce in overseas
operations. Today, locals constitute as much as 30 per cent of
its headcount overseas.
APEC trade ministers warn against protectionism
Asia-Pacific trade ministers
today said here that the worldwide economic slump may be
nearing its end but warned against protectionism while
pledging to work harder for a new WTO deal by 2010.
"The global economy appears to be bottoming out, but the
outlook remains uncertain and significant risks remain," the
ministers from the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC)
forum said in a statement.
"We will therefore persist with efforts to support growth
and facilitate trade and investment flows, keep our markets
open, and give a new push to concluding the Doha Round."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Delhi Police may arrest Kabaddi player Rohit over wife's suicide
- Politics over Mahesh Sharma's visit to Ayodhya museum site ahead of UP elections
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' release: I stand with Bollywood, why punish Pakistani artistes, says Digvijay Singh
- Man divorces wife after seeing her first time without make-up!