President, VP, Sonia condemn Mumbai blasts
New Delhi: President Pratibha Patil,
Vice-President Hamid Ansari, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi and several other political leaders on Wednesday night condemned the terror attacks in Mumbai that have
claimed at least 21 lives and injured over 100.
"The President is grieved to know about the incident of
blasts in Mumbai and has condoled the loss of lives in these
blasts", a Rashtrapati Bhawan statement said.
"The President wishes speedy recovery to those injured
in the incident in Mumbai," it added.
"Vice-President Hamid Ansari expressed deep shock at the scale of the
attacks targeted against innocent people causing numerous
fatalities and casualties," a statement from the Vice-
President`s Secretariat said.
"Such acts are aimed at destabilising the nation," he
said and urged all citizens to unite in this critical hour.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh strongly condemned the bomb blasts
in Mumbai and appealed to the people of the megapolis to
remain calm and show a united front.
Singh, who is monitoring the developments related to
the three explosions, spoke to Home Minister P Chidambaram and
also to Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan.
He asked Chavan to do whatever is possible to provide
relief to the injured and the families of the deceased.
Congress President Sonia Gandhi condemned the
dastardly act of terror in Mumbai and said such acts of
cowardice would be dealt appropriately.
BJP president Nitin Gadkari condemned the Mumbai
blasts in the strongest possible terms and asked the
government to take a clear stand in setting up an effective
BJP veteran LK Advani also spoke with Chidambaram to
seek an update on the developments.
Condemning the multiple blasts, Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi has said the terrorists wanted to prove that present Union government is "not capable" to contain them.
"I condemn the blasts which has thrown the challenge to humanists forces of the country," Modi said.
"By triggering these blasts, nefarious elements want
to prove that the present Central government is not capable to
contain them and they have the strength to destroy the
country," he said.
The Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) and Samajwadi Party also condemned the blasts and has requested the citizens of Mumbai to remain calm and help the agencies to maintain law and order.
"Citizens are advised not to touch anything unidentified
and report suspicious and unclaimed goods to the police," said
Mahesh Tapase, spokesperson, NCP Maharashtra.
Samajwadi Party leader Abu Asim Azmi said the terror
attacks deserved condemnation from all.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says