Prices may go up due to erratic monsoon: RBI
New Delhi: The Reserve Bank of India on Tuesday said that
prices this year are likely to go up because of the erratic
"The expectation is that the erratic monsoon may put
pressure on inflation," RBI Deputy Governor KC Chakrabarty
told reporters on the sidelines of a meeting of regional rural
bank chiefs with Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee.
When asked whether farm loans would be rescheduled
because of the uncertain monsoon this year, he said that is an
issue for next year.
According to reports, rainfall in the country between
June one and August 12 has been 29 percent below normal.
The Meteorological Department has officially declared
2009 a drought year.
The deficient rainfall has led to reduction in Kharif
sowing, fuelling fears of high food prices in the coming
However, inflation for the week ended August 1 dipped to
(-) 1.74 percent, the lowest in three decades, even as prices
of essential food items like pulses, cereals, and fruit and
vegetables continued to rise.
During the week, the prices of cereals surged by 12 percent, pulses by 18 percent, and fruit and vegetables by 18.4 percent annually.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- VIDEO: Shikhar Dhawan reveals impact of Yuvraj Singh in India dressing room
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal