Priyanka Chopra kicks off `Save Girl Child` campaign
New Delhi: Bollywood actor Priyanka Chopra kicked off the ‘Save Girl Child’ campaign in New Delhi.
Chopra, who received the National Award for her role in the movie `Fashion` on Friday, appeared very enthusiastic over the initiative of `The Sun Foundation`.
"The campaign which is kick-started by `The Sun Foundation` is very important in today’s scenario. We are aware but the conditioning, which we had till now, teaches us that the girls are not very important and the male child is always wanted," said Priyanka Chopra.
"This thinking should be eradicated. To know that if you give your girl child an opportunity then she can develop her potential, that she can be as successful as a boy," she added.
The Sun Foundation is a charitable institution that is committed towards changing the mindset of the Indian society with respect to the Girl Child.
Despite laws banning tests to determine the sex of an unborn child, the killing of female foetuses continues in some regions of India where a preference for sons runs deep.
In most parts of India, sons are viewed as breadwinners, who will look after their parents and carry on the family name, but daughters are viewed as financial liabilities for whom they will have to pay substantial dowries to get married off.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29