Priyanka Chopra kicks off `Save Girl Child` campaign
New Delhi: Bollywood actor Priyanka Chopra kicked off the ‘Save Girl Child’ campaign in New Delhi.
Chopra, who received the National Award for her role in the movie `Fashion` on Friday, appeared very enthusiastic over the initiative of `The Sun Foundation`.
"The campaign which is kick-started by `The Sun Foundation` is very important in today’s scenario. We are aware but the conditioning, which we had till now, teaches us that the girls are not very important and the male child is always wanted," said Priyanka Chopra.
"This thinking should be eradicated. To know that if you give your girl child an opportunity then she can develop her potential, that she can be as successful as a boy," she added.
The Sun Foundation is a charitable institution that is committed towards changing the mindset of the Indian society with respect to the Girl Child.
Despite laws banning tests to determine the sex of an unborn child, the killing of female foetuses continues in some regions of India where a preference for sons runs deep.
In most parts of India, sons are viewed as breadwinners, who will look after their parents and carry on the family name, but daughters are viewed as financial liabilities for whom they will have to pay substantial dowries to get married off.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery