Priyanka Chopra kicks off `Save Girl Child` campaign
New Delhi: Bollywood actor Priyanka Chopra kicked off the ‘Save Girl Child’ campaign in New Delhi.
Chopra, who received the National Award for her role in the movie `Fashion` on Friday, appeared very enthusiastic over the initiative of `The Sun Foundation`.
"The campaign which is kick-started by `The Sun Foundation` is very important in today’s scenario. We are aware but the conditioning, which we had till now, teaches us that the girls are not very important and the male child is always wanted," said Priyanka Chopra.
"This thinking should be eradicated. To know that if you give your girl child an opportunity then she can develop her potential, that she can be as successful as a boy," she added.
The Sun Foundation is a charitable institution that is committed towards changing the mindset of the Indian society with respect to the Girl Child.
Despite laws banning tests to determine the sex of an unborn child, the killing of female foetuses continues in some regions of India where a preference for sons runs deep.
In most parts of India, sons are viewed as breadwinners, who will look after their parents and carry on the family name, but daughters are viewed as financial liabilities for whom they will have to pay substantial dowries to get married off.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar polls: Two surveys predict majority for Grand Alliance, one give edge to NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?