Probe can be held into CWG corruption: Jaipal Reddy
New Delhi: The Commonwealth Games Organising Committee is an independent body and a probe can be instituted into the allegations of corruption against it, Urban Development Minister S. Jaipal Reddy said Friday.
"The organising committee is an independent body, if there is corruption the government can initiate an enquiry," Reddy told reporters outside parliament shortly after he was prevented by the opposition MPs from speaking in the Lok Sabha.
Attacking the opposition for not allowing him to speak, Reddy said the government is willing to have a full-fledged discussion on the preparations for the Commonwealth Games.
"The opposition wanted to make their point without letting the government speak. We want a full-fledged discussion," Reddy said.
"I have nothing to do with the Commonwealth Games, but as chairman of the Group of Ministers overseeing the preparations, I wanted to clear the air on the issue," he said, adding, "never in my career have I seen a minister not being allowed to speak."
He also stated that preparations for the Oct 3-14 Games were going on well, and the stadia being built were one of the best in the world.
"Stadiums like the Jawaharlal Nehru stadium and Shyama Prasad Mukherjee swimming pool are one of the best in the world. The Games will be the best Commonwealth Games ever," he said.
Earlier, attacking the opposition for not allowing the minister to speak, Parliamentary Affairs Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal termed the disruption as against parliamentary traditions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what