Probe ordered into custodial death in J&K’s Reasi district
Jammu: The Jammu and Kashmir government on Monday ordered a magisterial probe and suspended three cops in
connection with the death of a 17-year-old boy in police
custody at Adhkuwari, 58 kms from here.
Billoo, a native of Ludhiana, allegedly committed
suicide in a police lockup located en route the cave shrine of
Mata Vaishnodevi at Adhkuwari yesterday, police said.
He was picked up by police in a case of theft and
pick-pocketing and taken to Adhkuwari police lockup for
questioning yesterday. Police claimed the boy later committed
Taking serious view of the incident, senior
Superintendent of Police, Reasi, Anand Jain suspended three
cops – in-charge Adhkunwari police post Assistant Sub-Inspector
(ASI) Suram Chand, Munshi Deepak Ram and Selection Grade
Constable Bishan Dass for dereliction of duty.
Deputy Commissioner, Reasi, Pandoranga Pole has
directed Sub Divisional Magistrate Katra Rashpal Singh to
conduct a magisterial inquiry into the custodial death and
submit the report to the government.
The death triggered protests by a group of labourers
from Punjab yesterday. The protestors also blocked roads
leading to the shrine for an hour.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian woman rescued from German refugee camp returns home, thanks government
- Signs that prove Lord Hanuman is still alive
- Will wipe out BJP and Congress from the country: Akbaruddin Owaisi
- Ahead of 'Kashmir Solidarity Day', Hafiz Saeed's JuD releases controversial video featuring Pakistani Army chief
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`