Prospecting licence for diamond mining to RIL subsidiary
Bhopal: Reliance Industries has won a
licence for diamond mining in Madhya Pradesh and will invest
Rs 1,000 crore in the mines measuring 1,800 sq kms.
Following the licence the company will prospect over an
area of 1,800 square km spread over the Rewa, Sidhi and Satna
districts in Madhya Pradesh, an official release said here
RIL plans to pump in about Rs 1,000 crore in the
prospecting work and it is the second private sector company
to venture into diamond prospecting in Madhya Pradesh after
Australian mining major, Rio Tinto.
Yesterday, Madhya Pradesh Mining Director R K Sharma
handed over the prospecting licence for diamond to RIL CGM G K
Mohapatra in Bhopal.
Besides diamond, the prospecting licence also includes
permission to mine for other minerals like gold, copper, lead,
zinc and silver.
The licences have been issued in two parts, one for an
area of 1,084 square km and another for an area of 735 square
kms in the three districts.
Reliance Industries Limited already has a mining
licence for Coal Bed Methane in Shahdol and Anuppur districts
of Madhya Pradesh.
The prospecting work could provide an economic fillip
to the backward Bundelkhand region.
Nearly 500 persons would be directly engaged in
prospecting while about 2000 would be indirectly gaining from
The prospecting would be carried out through airborne
geophysical surveys, regional mapping, stream sediment gravel,
soil loam sampling and drilling, if required.
Rewa, Sidhi and Satna districts, the closest being 550
kms from the State capital, have a sizable forest area.
The Mineral Resources Department has informed the
Union Ministry of Mines that the company, as per an
undertaking shall not violate the Indian Forest Act and the
Forest Conservation Act, 1980.
Reliance would also share information with the
Department of Atomic Energy if radiometric instrument are used
during prospecting, the release said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference