Proud Ghana welcomes Black Stars home
Accra: Ghanaians turned out in their thousands to cheer their soccer team`s arrival home late on Monday, spraying their jet with water cannons and rolling out the red carpet for the World Cup`s surprise quarter-finalists.
The `Black Stars` matched pioneers Cameroon (1990) and Senegal (2002) in reaching the last eight, but spurned a golden chance to become Africa`s first semi-finalists when they squandered a last-minute spot-kick against Uruguay.
Striker Asamoah Gyan`s missed penalty after a handball on the line denied Ghana a goal with both teams tied at 1-1, sending the match into a penalty shoot-out which Uruguay won 4-2.
There was little bitterness among the revellers at the airport, however, many of whom had draped themselves in the country`s national colours of green, gold and red.
"The Stars fought gallantly, not only making Ghana proud, but the entire African continent," said Felicia Acheampong, a 53-year-old teacher who was part of the celebration.
Huge crowds had flooded the airport hours before the team landed, blasting vuvuzelas, singing and drumming in a carnival atmosphere.
Tony Bakah, a 42-year-old man blowing a red, gold and green vuvuzela, had nicknamed his newborn baby `Olele`, Ghanaians` affectionate tag for goalkeeper Richard Kingson.
"It`s a way of remembering the performance of the Stars," he said.
Ghana, whose chutzpah at the continent`s first World Cup won many admirers, were Africa`s sole hope after Ivory Coast, Cameroon, Nigeria, Algeria and hosts South Africa were knocked out in the group stage.
"We did our best for Ghana and Africa, but luck was not on our side," team captain Stephen Appiah told well-wishers at the airport.
"I am not a prophet, but I want to say that that we will qualify for the next World Cup in 2014.”
"We will be battle-ready as title contenders."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi