Pseudonymous complaint on Natl Games equipment buying: Maken
New Delhi: The government had received a complaint from a person using a fictitious name alleging irregularities in procurement of equipment for last month`s National Games and the matter has been referred to Sports Ministry`s Vigilance Wing, minister Ajay Maken said.
"The government received a pseudonymous complaint alleging irregularities in procurement of sports equipment for Jharkhand National Games, on which comments of Indian Olympic Association (IOA) were obtained.”
"The IOA has stated that all the sports equipment were purchased by the National Games Organising Committee, Ranchi. As per Host City Agreement between IOA, NGOC and State Government, IOA was to provide list of equipments along with the brands," Maken said in reply to a question in the Lok Sabha.
"IOA has informed that it has appointed a committee in consultation with the National Sports Federation and the committee finalised the list of all the equipment which were furnished to NGOC. This matter has been referred to the Vigilance Wing of the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports for appropriate action in the matter," he said.
He said the authority to conduct an inquiry into any financial irregularities in the conduct of National Games lies with the state government, state Olympic association and Indian Olympic Association.
Maken said the government has disbursed the cash rewards announced for outstanding performance in various disciplines during the Commonwealth and Asian Games.
"Disbursal of award money under the Scheme of Special Awards for winners of medals in international sports events and their coaches is an ongoing process. Applications for cash awards recommended by NSFs are considered for award money under the provisions of the scheme after verification of the achievements of sportspersons by SAI," he said.
"All medallists of CWG 2010 and Asian Games 2010 have been awarded the cash awards under the scheme of Special Awards for winners of medals in international sports events and their coaches.”
"Gold medallists have been given award money of Rs 20 lakhs, silver medallists Rs 10 lakhs and bronze medallists Rs six lakhs. Winners of medals in team events have been given award money not less than half of individual award money. Award money worth Rs 26.82 crore has been disbursed to 323 medallists of CWG 2010 and Asian Games 2010," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'