PSPB felicitates CWG medal winners
New Delhi: The Petroleum Sports Promotion
Board felicitated all the medal winners of the 19th
Commonwealth Games with cash awards at a glittering function
here on Monday.
Unlike Railways, who rewarded their sportspersons, and
Haryana government, who felicitated only the CWG medallists of
the state, PSPB honoured all 101 medal winners of the Delhi
Games who brought glory to the nation.
The PSPB gave away a total of Rs 10,13,71000 to the CWG
medallists. While the gold medallists won Rs 10 lakh each
apart from a momento, silver and bronze medal winners bagged
Rs 7.5 lakhs and Rs 5 lakhs, respectively.
The medal winners in the team event were also awarded
with cash prizes apart from the momento.
The prizes were given away by Minister of Petroleum and
Natural Games Murli Deora and his deputy Jitin Prasada, PSPB
President R S Sharma, who is also the CMD of ONGC, among other
dignitaries, which also include former India cricket captain
"I congratulate all the stars who have brought pride and
glory to India with their spectacular performance in the
Commonwealth Games. The success of these young athletes is a
result of their hard work, commitment and dedication," Deora
said on the occasion.
"Today names of Saina Nehwal, Gagan Narang, Ashwini
Ponappa and other athletes have become a household name in the
country. I hope that every youngster look up to them as role
models and try to replicate their success," he added.
The renowned sportsperson who attended the function are
badminton star Saina Nehwal, who won the gold in the
Commonwealth Games, ace archers Dola Banerjee, Rahul Banerjee,
Deepika Kumari, boxers Suranjoy Singh, Manoj Kumar, wrestlers
Anil Kumar, Rajinder Kumar, gold medal winning women`s doubles
badminton pair of Jwala Gutta and Ashwini Ponappa among
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Soldier buried under Siachen avalanche snow rescued after six days
- Panel discussion on demand for expulsion of Wahabi Syllabus from Universities- Part IV
- DNA: Analysis on India's naval prowess at International Fleet Review
- Panel discussion on demand for expulsion of Wahabi Syllabus from Universities
- Panel discussion on demand for expulsion of Wahabi Syllabus from Universities- Part II
- 12 men rape British teen girl for over 13 months; slapped with 140 years in jail
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen