Pudu Assembly to be a mix of young and old
Puducherry: The 30 members elected to the
Puducherry assembly are a mix of first-time legislators and
veteran old timers making a comeback as the 12-year long
Congress rule came to an end in the Union Territory.
The Assembly will have nine first-time MLAs along with a
host of veterans that will reenter the House after varied
periods of absence.
Of the nine new entrants to the Assembly, six were elected
on All India NR Congress (AINRC) tickets, from Mannadipet,
Thattanchavady, Lawspet, Kalapet, Orleampet and Oussudu. The
Nettapakkam and Mudaliarpet constituencies have returned
freshers on AIADMK tickets while Karaikal (north) has returned
a first timer on a Congress ticket.
Former chief minister N Rangasamy had yesterday led the
AINRC he formed shortly before the polls, to power as the
party won 15 seats and its ally AIADMK five.
Congress ended with a tally of seven and DMK two. DMK rebel
V M C Shivakumar won the Neravi T R Pattinam segment.
With regard to the first-time MLAs, former minister Theni C
Jeyakumar (Congress) will have to contend with seeing his
nephew and first-time legislator Ashok Anand (AINRC) on the
treasury side after his party slumped to defeat in the polls.
AIADMK`s state unit secretary A Anbalagan on the contrary
will have beside him for company his younger brother A Baskar,
who was elected from Mudaliarpet. While Anbalagan was elected
for the third time in a row, Baskar is a first-timer.
Among the veterans making a comeback to the Assembly,
P Purushothaman of AIADMK returns to the House after 26 years
following his election from the newly-created Manavely
constituency. Purushothaman was a member of the Assembly from
Ariyankuppam in 1985.
V Sabapathy, elected on AINRC ticket from Ariyankuppam, is
returning to the Assembly after 15 years. A four-time
legislator who was elected from Mudaliarpet in 1974, 1977,
1980 and 1985, he lost his seat to a CPI candidate in 1996.
M Chandrakasu, a former Congress minister belonging to
Neduncadu in Karaikal, was returned on an AINRC ticket from
the segment after a gap of ten years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena was Indrani’s daughter from her previous marriage, not sister
- How justified is the violence in Gujarat over quota row?-Part 2
- Gujarat quota stir: Exclusive interview with Hardik Patel
- Gujarat quota stir: PM Modi appeals for peace
- Sheena Bora murder mystery: Eight questions which need to be answered
- I know why Indrani Mukherjea murdered my sister Sheena: Mikhail Bora
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police
- 3rd Test: India vs Sri Lanka 2015 - Preview