Pudu Assembly to be a mix of young and old
Puducherry: The 30 members elected to the
Puducherry assembly are a mix of first-time legislators and
veteran old timers making a comeback as the 12-year long
Congress rule came to an end in the Union Territory.
The Assembly will have nine first-time MLAs along with a
host of veterans that will reenter the House after varied
periods of absence.
Of the nine new entrants to the Assembly, six were elected
on All India NR Congress (AINRC) tickets, from Mannadipet,
Thattanchavady, Lawspet, Kalapet, Orleampet and Oussudu. The
Nettapakkam and Mudaliarpet constituencies have returned
freshers on AIADMK tickets while Karaikal (north) has returned
a first timer on a Congress ticket.
Former chief minister N Rangasamy had yesterday led the
AINRC he formed shortly before the polls, to power as the
party won 15 seats and its ally AIADMK five.
Congress ended with a tally of seven and DMK two. DMK rebel
V M C Shivakumar won the Neravi T R Pattinam segment.
With regard to the first-time MLAs, former minister Theni C
Jeyakumar (Congress) will have to contend with seeing his
nephew and first-time legislator Ashok Anand (AINRC) on the
treasury side after his party slumped to defeat in the polls.
AIADMK`s state unit secretary A Anbalagan on the contrary
will have beside him for company his younger brother A Baskar,
who was elected from Mudaliarpet. While Anbalagan was elected
for the third time in a row, Baskar is a first-timer.
Among the veterans making a comeback to the Assembly,
P Purushothaman of AIADMK returns to the House after 26 years
following his election from the newly-created Manavely
constituency. Purushothaman was a member of the Assembly from
Ariyankuppam in 1985.
V Sabapathy, elected on AINRC ticket from Ariyankuppam, is
returning to the Assembly after 15 years. A four-time
legislator who was elected from Mudaliarpet in 1974, 1977,
1980 and 1985, he lost his seat to a CPI candidate in 1996.
M Chandrakasu, a former Congress minister belonging to
Neduncadu in Karaikal, was returned on an AINRC ticket from
the segment after a gap of ten years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you