Puducherry Assembly adjourned sine die
Puducherry: Puducherry Assembly had a brief Winter session lasting 25 minutes on Friday and adjourned sine die after adopting a resolution condoling death of former prime minister IK Gujral and passing a bill amending the VAT Act exempting goods sold by Canteen Stores Department to serving defence personnel and ex servicemen from levy from this month.
As soon as the session began, Chief Minister N Rangasamy tabled a resolution condoling the death of Gujral. He paid rich ributes to the services of the former Prime Minister in different capacities he had served.
Members belonging to the opposition Congress, DMK and AIADMK and indpendent member VMC Sivakumar recalled the dedicated services and patriotic zeal of Gujral. Speaker V Sabapathy said that Gujral was an eminent leader whose services to the nation had been recognised by all.
All the members stood in silence for a couple of minutes in memory of Gujral.
The House was drowned subsequently in noisy scenes while taking up the other scheduled business with the members belonging to AIADMK (who staged a walkout before the proceedings adjourned sine die) bringing to the notice of the government lack of steps to end grievances of the people particularly those in BPL category.
Leader of the AIADMK`s legislature party wing A Anbalagan protests against non-availability of opportunity for the opposition to speak on various issues concerning the people. He said that the session should be held for considerably longer period as several issues including the delay in availability of Aadhar cards and also current financial crisis in the government and non availability of subsidised fuel for farmers and fishermen needed to be discussed elaborately.
Members belonging to the DMK and the Congress were also seen displaying placards containing slogans on the lack of steps to sanction educational assistance to the students, to provide relief to farmers in Karaikal and a few other demands.
After the adoption of the Bill to amend the VAT Act the Speaker adjourned the House sine die.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash