Puducherry Assembly urges Centre to support US-backed resolution
Puducherry: The Puducherry Assembly on Monday unanimously adopted a resolution urging the Centre to support the US-backed resolution against Sri Lanka at the UNHRC.
Chief Minister N Rangasamy tabled the resolution and read it out after the budget session began today, urging the Centre to support the US-backed resolution "to condemn the violation of human rights and war crimes in Sri Lanka."
Speaker V Sabapathy put the resolution to voice vote and announced that it has been adopted unanimously.
Opposition AIADMK member A Anbalagan insisted on a debate on the resolution, to which the Speaker replied that it was not possible as the resolution had already been adopted.
The Speaker then announced that the House stood adjourned till March 25.
Opposition DMK member A M H Nazeem, however, went ahead with his speech even as the Speaker and Anbalagan were engaged in exchanging views on having the debate on the resolution.
The Speaker then reiterated that the House had been adjourned till March 25 when it will take up the debate on the motion of thanks to the Lt Governor for his address delivered today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video