Puducherry Assembly urges Centre to support US-backed resolution
Puducherry: The Puducherry Assembly on Monday unanimously adopted a resolution urging the Centre to support the US-backed resolution against Sri Lanka at the UNHRC.
Chief Minister N Rangasamy tabled the resolution and read it out after the budget session began today, urging the Centre to support the US-backed resolution "to condemn the violation of human rights and war crimes in Sri Lanka."
Speaker V Sabapathy put the resolution to voice vote and announced that it has been adopted unanimously.
Opposition AIADMK member A Anbalagan insisted on a debate on the resolution, to which the Speaker replied that it was not possible as the resolution had already been adopted.
The Speaker then announced that the House stood adjourned till March 25.
Opposition DMK member A M H Nazeem, however, went ahead with his speech even as the Speaker and Anbalagan were engaged in exchanging views on having the debate on the resolution.
The Speaker then reiterated that the House had been adjourned till March 25 when it will take up the debate on the motion of thanks to the Lt Governor for his address delivered today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley