Puducherry minister`s brother, 3 others get life for murder
Puducherry: The brother of a Puducherry
minister was among four persons sentenced to life imprisonment
by a court today in connection with the murder of a man in a
political clash following factional feud near here in 2008.
M Balu, brother of Welfare Minister M Kandasamy, and V
Veerappan, a municipal councillor in Bahoor, and two other
persons owing allegiance to the minister were held guilty by
the court in the murder of V Subramanian (55), a supporter of
former Bahoor Congress MLA A Rajavelu.
Subramanian was murdered in Pillayarkuppampet village in
Bahoor Assembly constituency on October 27, 2008 during a
clash between the supporters of Kandasamy and Rajavelu. Some
houses were ransacked and damaged by the clashing groups.
Third Additional Sessions Judge E M K S Siddharthar also
sentenced 13 other supporters of Kandasamy to seven years
rigorous imprisonment under section 452 (house trespass) read
with 149 IPC (guilty of offence committed in prosecution of
The four were awarded life sentence under section 302 IPC
(murder) read with section 34 (offence committed in
furtherance of common intention).
The 13 were also awarded one year rigorous imprisonment on
another count besides a fine of Rs 25,000 and one year simple
imprisonment in default. The sentences are to run
The two rival groups in the ruling Congress in Bahoor were
frequently coming to clashes due to deep seated animosity for
some years now. Police had arrested 17 persons in connection
with the murder and registered cases against them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH