Puducherry: PMK bandh over members’ arrest begins
Puducherry: The dawn-to-dusk bandh, called by Pattali Makkal Katchi (PMK) and Vanniayar Sangam in Puducherry demanding immediate release of PMK founder leader S Ramadoss, began on Thursday.
Ramadoss was arrested on April 30 when he tried to lead a protest demanding that police should book the "true culprits" behind the recent Marakkanam violence.
Members of the PMK, heading for a party organised festival at the sea shore town of Mamallapuram in Chennai, have been accused of involvement in the violence allegedly targeting Dalits, a charge denied by the party.
All privately operated buses and autorickshaws were off the roads. Shops and establishments including retail outlets of the petroleum products remained closed.
Police were posted in strength at all the vulnerable pockets. Attendance in government offices was however normal, official sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Parineeti Chopra turns 'sexy pari' for sizzling photo-shoot