Puducherry: PMK bandh over members’ arrest begins
Puducherry: The dawn-to-dusk bandh, called by Pattali Makkal Katchi (PMK) and Vanniayar Sangam in Puducherry demanding immediate release of PMK founder leader S Ramadoss, began on Thursday.
Ramadoss was arrested on April 30 when he tried to lead a protest demanding that police should book the "true culprits" behind the recent Marakkanam violence.
Members of the PMK, heading for a party organised festival at the sea shore town of Mamallapuram in Chennai, have been accused of involvement in the violence allegedly targeting Dalits, a charge denied by the party.
All privately operated buses and autorickshaws were off the roads. Shops and establishments including retail outlets of the petroleum products remained closed.
Police were posted in strength at all the vulnerable pockets. Attendance in government offices was however normal, official sources said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Here’s how you can make sex steamy, longer!