Puducherry: PMK bandh over members’ arrest begins
Puducherry: The dawn-to-dusk bandh, called by Pattali Makkal Katchi (PMK) and Vanniayar Sangam in Puducherry demanding immediate release of PMK founder leader S Ramadoss, began on Thursday.
Ramadoss was arrested on April 30 when he tried to lead a protest demanding that police should book the "true culprits" behind the recent Marakkanam violence.
Members of the PMK, heading for a party organised festival at the sea shore town of Mamallapuram in Chennai, have been accused of involvement in the violence allegedly targeting Dalits, a charge denied by the party.
All privately operated buses and autorickshaws were off the roads. Shops and establishments including retail outlets of the petroleum products remained closed.
Police were posted in strength at all the vulnerable pockets. Attendance in government offices was however normal, official sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Scientists develop space boot to avert astronauts from tripping over
- Baby care during monsoon: Tips to get rid of prickly heat rash in babies!
- Blake Lively feels 'Gossip Girl' reunion will be fun
- England vs Pakistan: Trevor Bayliss keen on hiring Saqlain Mushtaq as bowling consultant
- WATCH: EPIC! Here's who won after The Great Khali and Kane traded brutal chair shots