Puducherry: PMK bandh over members’ arrest begins
Puducherry: The dawn-to-dusk bandh, called by Pattali Makkal Katchi (PMK) and Vanniayar Sangam in Puducherry demanding immediate release of PMK founder leader S Ramadoss, began on Thursday.
Ramadoss was arrested on April 30 when he tried to lead a protest demanding that police should book the "true culprits" behind the recent Marakkanam violence.
Members of the PMK, heading for a party organised festival at the sea shore town of Mamallapuram in Chennai, have been accused of involvement in the violence allegedly targeting Dalits, a charge denied by the party.
All privately operated buses and autorickshaws were off the roads. Shops and establishments including retail outlets of the petroleum products remained closed.
Police were posted in strength at all the vulnerable pockets. Attendance in government offices was however normal, official sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city