Puducherry: PMK bandh over members’ arrest begins
Puducherry: The dawn-to-dusk bandh, called by Pattali Makkal Katchi (PMK) and Vanniayar Sangam in Puducherry demanding immediate release of PMK founder leader S Ramadoss, began on Thursday.
Ramadoss was arrested on April 30 when he tried to lead a protest demanding that police should book the "true culprits" behind the recent Marakkanam violence.
Members of the PMK, heading for a party organised festival at the sea shore town of Mamallapuram in Chennai, have been accused of involvement in the violence allegedly targeting Dalits, a charge denied by the party.
All privately operated buses and autorickshaws were off the roads. Shops and establishments including retail outlets of the petroleum products remained closed.
Police were posted in strength at all the vulnerable pockets. Attendance in government offices was however normal, official sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Is Sonakshi Sinha a part of Salman Khan’s ‘Dabangg 3’? Here’s the answer
- Kareena Kapoor Khan not in ‘Veerey Di Wedding’? Sonam Kapoor will tell you the truth
- Magnitude 6.4 quake hits Italy near Perugia – USGS
- Turning the tide on hair loss
- Rajnath Singh in Kashmir, says those who believe in 'Kashmiriyat' are welcome for talks