Puducherry: Rebel Rangasamy grinds Cong to dust
Puducherry: Making a spectacular electoral
debut, the All India NR Congress in alliance with AIADMK on day
secured a two-third majority in the 30-member Puducherry
Assembly, ending the DMK-supported Congress rule.
Former Chief Minister N Rangasamy led the AINRC he formed
on the eve of the polls to power with the party winning 15
seats and its ally AIADMK five.
Congress ended with a tally of seven and DMK two. DMK rebel
V M C Shivakumar won the Neravi T R Pattinam segment.
It was a sweet revenge for Rangasamy who floated his own
outfit after resigning from the Congress about two years after
he was removed as chief minister in the face of revolt against
Rangasamy, named the chief ministerial candidate of the
AINRC-AIADMK front, emerged victorious from both Kadirgamam
and Indira Nagar constituencies that he contested from.
Chief Minister V Vaithilingam, who succeeded Rangasamy, won
but Welfare Minister M Kandasamy and PWD Minister M O H F
Shajahan lost as also Assembly Speaker R Radhakrishnan.
A jubilant Rangasamy said the outcome was a verdict by
people and he would soon decide when to meet the Lt Governor
and stake claim for forming the government.
CPI, CPI (M) and DMDK, which were part of the AINRC led
alliance, however drew a blank contesting one seat each.
In the Congress front, PMK lost both the seats it contested
and VCK tasted defeat in the lone seat it was allocated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery