Puducherry: Rebel Rangasamy grinds Cong to dust
Puducherry: Making a spectacular electoral
debut, the All India NR Congress in alliance with AIADMK on day
secured a two-third majority in the 30-member Puducherry
Assembly, ending the DMK-supported Congress rule.
Former Chief Minister N Rangasamy led the AINRC he formed
on the eve of the polls to power with the party winning 15
seats and its ally AIADMK five.
Congress ended with a tally of seven and DMK two. DMK rebel
V M C Shivakumar won the Neravi T R Pattinam segment.
It was a sweet revenge for Rangasamy who floated his own
outfit after resigning from the Congress about two years after
he was removed as chief minister in the face of revolt against
Rangasamy, named the chief ministerial candidate of the
AINRC-AIADMK front, emerged victorious from both Kadirgamam
and Indira Nagar constituencies that he contested from.
Chief Minister V Vaithilingam, who succeeded Rangasamy, won
but Welfare Minister M Kandasamy and PWD Minister M O H F
Shajahan lost as also Assembly Speaker R Radhakrishnan.
A jubilant Rangasamy said the outcome was a verdict by
people and he would soon decide when to meet the Lt Governor
and stake claim for forming the government.
CPI, CPI (M) and DMDK, which were part of the AINRC led
alliance, however drew a blank contesting one seat each.
In the Congress front, PMK lost both the seats it contested
and VCK tasted defeat in the lone seat it was allocated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- VIDEO: Shikhar Dhawan reveals impact of Yuvraj Singh in India dressing room
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal