Puducherry: Rebel Rangasamy grinds Cong to dust
Puducherry: Making a spectacular electoral
debut, the All India NR Congress in alliance with AIADMK on day
secured a two-third majority in the 30-member Puducherry
Assembly, ending the DMK-supported Congress rule.
Former Chief Minister N Rangasamy led the AINRC he formed
on the eve of the polls to power with the party winning 15
seats and its ally AIADMK five.
Congress ended with a tally of seven and DMK two. DMK rebel
V M C Shivakumar won the Neravi T R Pattinam segment.
It was a sweet revenge for Rangasamy who floated his own
outfit after resigning from the Congress about two years after
he was removed as chief minister in the face of revolt against
Rangasamy, named the chief ministerial candidate of the
AINRC-AIADMK front, emerged victorious from both Kadirgamam
and Indira Nagar constituencies that he contested from.
Chief Minister V Vaithilingam, who succeeded Rangasamy, won
but Welfare Minister M Kandasamy and PWD Minister M O H F
Shajahan lost as also Assembly Speaker R Radhakrishnan.
A jubilant Rangasamy said the outcome was a verdict by
people and he would soon decide when to meet the Lt Governor
and stake claim for forming the government.
CPI, CPI (M) and DMDK, which were part of the AINRC led
alliance, however drew a blank contesting one seat each.
In the Congress front, PMK lost both the seats it contested
and VCK tasted defeat in the lone seat it was allocated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued