Puducherry: Rebel Rangasamy grinds Cong to dust
Puducherry: Making a spectacular electoral
debut, the All India NR Congress in alliance with AIADMK on day
secured a two-third majority in the 30-member Puducherry
Assembly, ending the DMK-supported Congress rule.
Former Chief Minister N Rangasamy led the AINRC he formed
on the eve of the polls to power with the party winning 15
seats and its ally AIADMK five.
Congress ended with a tally of seven and DMK two. DMK rebel
V M C Shivakumar won the Neravi T R Pattinam segment.
It was a sweet revenge for Rangasamy who floated his own
outfit after resigning from the Congress about two years after
he was removed as chief minister in the face of revolt against
Rangasamy, named the chief ministerial candidate of the
AINRC-AIADMK front, emerged victorious from both Kadirgamam
and Indira Nagar constituencies that he contested from.
Chief Minister V Vaithilingam, who succeeded Rangasamy, won
but Welfare Minister M Kandasamy and PWD Minister M O H F
Shajahan lost as also Assembly Speaker R Radhakrishnan.
A jubilant Rangasamy said the outcome was a verdict by
people and he would soon decide when to meet the Lt Governor
and stake claim for forming the government.
CPI, CPI (M) and DMDK, which were part of the AINRC led
alliance, however drew a blank contesting one seat each.
In the Congress front, PMK lost both the seats it contested
and VCK tasted defeat in the lone seat it was allocated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Know what Ranveer Singh has to say about Akshay Kumar
- A love story for Akshay Kumar in toilet? Details inside
- Wondering if Ranveer Singh is on board Deepika Padukone’s ‘Padmavati’? Details inside
- Saif Ali Khan finds Kareena Kapoor very sexy in 'Yeh Mera Dil' song
- Donald Trump demands special prosecutor to probe Hillary Clinton allegations