Puducherry registers 27.72% increase in population
Puducherry: Population in Puducherry has increased by 27.72 percent in the last ten years (2001-2011).
This is 7.1 percent higher than the previous decade.
The total population in the Union Territory is 12,44,464 of which the rural population accounts for 3, 94,341 while urban population is 8, 50,123.
Puducherry region with a population of 9, 46,600 is the most populous region in the Union Territory followed by Karaikal with 2, 00,314 population, Yanam with 55,616 population and Mahe with 41,934 population.
Deputy Director of Census operations J Jayapragasam told newsmen that the growth of population in rural areas stood at 21.07 as against 12.01 percent during 1991-2001.
In urban areas the population growth is 31.07 percent which is 10 percent more than the growth rate registered in rural areas.
The growth rate in urban areas is 31.07 percent against growth rate of 25.46 percent in the previous decade.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!