`Pulses consumption decreased due to price rise`
New Delhi: Soaring prices have forced households to cut down the intake of pulses, a study by industry body Assocham said.
During 1960s, per capita consumption of pulses was around 27 kg per year which has slipped to less than 11 kg a year during January-June 2009, it said.
"Rising prices of pulses has forced common households to curtail their pulses consumption," Assocham said, adding, the per capita consumption has now come down to less than 11 kg in
the first half of this calendar year.
The chamber has warned that if "corrective measures are
delayed", per capita pulses consumption in the latter part of
the year would further decrease to around 9 kg per household.
Assocham further said that overall growth in the yield of
pulses since the inception of Green Revolution in 1967 is the
least among major crops at a mere 1.14 percent.
In the absence of growth of area and a sluggish growth
in yield, pulses production has witnessed a compounded annual
growth rate (CAGR) of only 0.9 percent in the last five
The country’s increasing demand for pulses has resulted
in an increase in net imports from about 4.6 lakh tonne in
1998-99 to over 20 lakh tonne in 2008-09, Assocham said.
Ironically, countries like Canada and Australia are
factoring in Indian demand in their production plans and are
highly successful in exploiting the Indian situation to their
advantage, it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- Russia to pay bonuses to athletes barred from Rio Olympics 2016
- Scorpene data leak unintentional, navy will address all concerns: Parrikar
- Day/Night Duleep Trophy: India Red crush India Green by 219 runs
- UEFA Europa League Draw: Groups, Fixtures, Top clashes – All you need to know!
- Beware! If you are woman and using elevator alone - WATCH Video