Pune wakes up to flu reality; 27 people quarantined
Pune: A day after a city girl succumbed to
swine flu, authorities Tuesday swung into action quarantining 27
contacts of the 14-year-old besides putting on medication the
staff of the hospital which came in contact with her.
Reedal Shaikh died at Jahangir Hospital here
yesterday, making her India`s first swine flu fatality.
Authorities at her St Anne`s school kept the school
closed today in memory of the departed student.
Dr Pradeep Awte, who heads the nodal flu monitoring
cell in Maharashtra, said the mother and cousin sister of the
deceased girl, who were in close contact with her, had tested
negative for swine flu.
The authorities have home quarantined 27 other
contacts of the girl putting them under surveillance and
The staff of Jehangir hospital, right from the wardboy
who interacted with the patient, have been put on medication
after the girl tested positive for H1N1, he added.
Last night a tense atmosphere prevailed inside and
outside the Jehangir Hospital where mediapersons were denied
access to information and kept waiting for over three hours as
doctors refused to meet and discuss the case that shook the
city which now has recorded 104 H1N1 positive cases, mostly
An official briefing by civic and hospital authorities
was finally held in the Jehangir premises after 11.00 pm even as
the Central health officials broke the news in the national
capital blaming the hospital for delay in diagnosis and
administering the prescribed treatment for the deadly virus
that has now bared its fangs in the country.
The hospital version given by medical superintendent
Dr Prasad Mogilikar said the ninth class girl student admitted
on July 27 with "non-specific" symptoms (fever and sore
throat) was actually put on the Tamiflu tablets only on July
31 when her blood sample tested positive for H1N1, which meant
a delay of almost four days.
Incidentally, it was the first private hospital that
treated a swine flu case. Three civic hospitals in the city
have become the main referral centres for the virus for the
last one month.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know