Puneri Pagadi gets GI tag; latest to join protected goods club
New Delhi: After Tirupati laddu and Banarasi
sarees, now it is the turn of `Puneri Pagadi`, famous headgear
and a symbol of pride and honour in Maharashtra`s Pune region,
to get the Geographical Indication (GI) status by the
The entry of Pagadi in the club of protected goods would
help the locals to get the benefit of exclusivity, as the law
bars the nomenclature of any turban as Puneri Pagadi post GI
After the grant of GI, no turban made outside Pune region
can be legally sold under the name of Puneri Pagadi.
The Chennai-based Geographical Indication Registry, the
competent authority under the Government of India, has issued
the GI certificate for `Puneri Pagadi`.
An application seeking GI registration for the turban was
filed by Pune-based Shree Puneri Pagadi Sangh July last year.
Sangh had sought GI status for Puneri Pagadi under "Class 25",
which deals with clothing, footwear and headgear products.
"We got a certificate of registration of `Puneri Pagadi`
last week and have several plans for this unique headgear as a
symbol of intellectual earlier used by great leaders including
Lokmanya Tilak and Ghokhale," Pune-based Great Mission Group
Consultancy`s (GMGC) Ganesh Hingmire told a news agency.
GMGC is working in the field of intellectual property and
had helped Puneri Pagadi Sangh for filing the GI application.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note