Puneri Pagadi gets GI tag; latest to join protected goods club
New Delhi: After Tirupati laddu and Banarasi
sarees, now it is the turn of `Puneri Pagadi`, famous headgear
and a symbol of pride and honour in Maharashtra`s Pune region,
to get the Geographical Indication (GI) status by the
The entry of Pagadi in the club of protected goods would
help the locals to get the benefit of exclusivity, as the law
bars the nomenclature of any turban as Puneri Pagadi post GI
After the grant of GI, no turban made outside Pune region
can be legally sold under the name of Puneri Pagadi.
The Chennai-based Geographical Indication Registry, the
competent authority under the Government of India, has issued
the GI certificate for `Puneri Pagadi`.
An application seeking GI registration for the turban was
filed by Pune-based Shree Puneri Pagadi Sangh July last year.
Sangh had sought GI status for Puneri Pagadi under "Class 25",
which deals with clothing, footwear and headgear products.
"We got a certificate of registration of `Puneri Pagadi`
last week and have several plans for this unique headgear as a
symbol of intellectual earlier used by great leaders including
Lokmanya Tilak and Ghokhale," Pune-based Great Mission Group
Consultancy`s (GMGC) Ganesh Hingmire told a news agency.
GMGC is working in the field of intellectual property and
had helped Puneri Pagadi Sangh for filing the GI application.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway