Punjab mulling International Kabaddi League on lines of IPL
Jalandhar: Punjab Deputy Chief Minister
Sukhbir Singh Badal today said that the state government is
planning to launch International Kabaddi League (IKL) on the
lines of Indian Premier League (IPL) cricket tournament from
next year onwards.
Sukhbir, who also holds the Sports portfolio, said that
matches of Kabaddi league would be organised in Europe,
Canada, USA and Australia in summers and quarterfinal,
semifinal and final would be played in winters in Asian
sub-continent especially in India and Pakistan.
"From next year onwards, on the pattern of Indian Premier
League (IPL) cricket tournament, a Kabbadi Premier League
would be launched," Sukhbir said.
"Like IPL players of Kabbadi will also be auctioned for
different teams. We want to take kabaddi to its grass root
level from where it has originated," he told reporters during
the occasion of Kabbadi World Cup, being organised here.
He said the basic purpose of Kabbadi League was to
professionally market the game to international level so that
players could get worldwide recognition.
Sukhbir said that a comprehensive sports policy would be
announced soon to strengthen and promote sporting activities
and culture in the state.
"Draft of the policy has already been prepared and some
additions are being made so that appropriate infrastructure
could be built on time to promote sports in Punjab," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands