Put Mukesh Ambani, Nilekani on Apple board: BusinessWeek
New York: Stressing the importance of the Indian market, US business magazine BusinessWeek has suggested that Reliance Industries Chairman Mukesh Ambani and Infosys co-founder Nandan Nilekani join as directors on the board of software giant Apple.
"An executive who understands the Indian market could be
a guiding hand in Apple`s board room. How about former Infosys
(Co-Chairman) Nandan Nilekani (now serving the government with
minister rank)? or Mukesh Ambani, head of Reliance Industries,
whose retail subsidiary sells Apple gear in India?," the
publication said in an article published online.
Nilekani was recently appointed as Chairperson of
India`s National Unique Identification Authority and has the
rank and status of Cabinet Minister.
Internet giant Google`s Chief Executive Officer Eric
Schimdt quit Apple`s board earlier this month and was a
director at the software major since December 2006.
BusinessWeek said that with Schmidt leaving the board,
the path is clear for the "company`s next likely director,
Chief Operating Officer Tim Cook" to join.
"But the challenges that will face the company in the
next decade -- which include managing its larger size,
reckoning with internet-based computing and growing overseas
-- will require more fresh blood on the board," the report
According to the magazine, it spoke to academics, board
recruiters and various industry sources, regarding future
directors for Apple.
"With Apple in its fourth decade and heading toward USD
50 billion in sales sometimes in the 2010s, the company will
need further governance changes in the years ahead," the
article with headlines "An Apple Board of Directors for the
Apart from Ambani and Nilekani, the report has suggested
the names of IBM CEO Lou Gerstner and former Genentech CEO
Arthur Levinson, among others.
Recently, Nilekani stepped down from the board of IT
bellwether Infosys, who he co-founded, to join the National
Unique Identification Authority.
Ambani is on the International Advisory Board of Gulf
banking group National Board of Kuwait and the advisory
council of global consultancy firm McKinsey. He is also
Chairman of the Board of Governors of the Indian Institute of
Management (IIM), Bangalore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan