Put Mukesh Ambani, Nilekani on Apple board: BusinessWeek
New York: Stressing the importance of the Indian market, US business magazine BusinessWeek has suggested that Reliance Industries Chairman Mukesh Ambani and Infosys co-founder Nandan Nilekani join as directors on the board of software giant Apple.
"An executive who understands the Indian market could be
a guiding hand in Apple`s board room. How about former Infosys
(Co-Chairman) Nandan Nilekani (now serving the government with
minister rank)? or Mukesh Ambani, head of Reliance Industries,
whose retail subsidiary sells Apple gear in India?," the
publication said in an article published online.
Nilekani was recently appointed as Chairperson of
India`s National Unique Identification Authority and has the
rank and status of Cabinet Minister.
Internet giant Google`s Chief Executive Officer Eric
Schimdt quit Apple`s board earlier this month and was a
director at the software major since December 2006.
BusinessWeek said that with Schmidt leaving the board,
the path is clear for the "company`s next likely director,
Chief Operating Officer Tim Cook" to join.
"But the challenges that will face the company in the
next decade -- which include managing its larger size,
reckoning with internet-based computing and growing overseas
-- will require more fresh blood on the board," the report
According to the magazine, it spoke to academics, board
recruiters and various industry sources, regarding future
directors for Apple.
"With Apple in its fourth decade and heading toward USD
50 billion in sales sometimes in the 2010s, the company will
need further governance changes in the years ahead," the
article with headlines "An Apple Board of Directors for the
Apart from Ambani and Nilekani, the report has suggested
the names of IBM CEO Lou Gerstner and former Genentech CEO
Arthur Levinson, among others.
Recently, Nilekani stepped down from the board of IT
bellwether Infosys, who he co-founded, to join the National
Unique Identification Authority.
Ambani is on the International Advisory Board of Gulf
banking group National Board of Kuwait and the advisory
council of global consultancy firm McKinsey. He is also
Chairman of the Board of Governors of the Indian Institute of
Management (IIM), Bangalore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE (cbse.nic.in ) Class X results 2015: CBSE Class 10th Board results likely to be declared tomorrow on cbseresults.nic.in