Qualifier Ashutosh upsets Prasanth, enters singles final
Kolkata: Qualifier Ashutosh Singh of Delhi pulled off biggest upset of the day by stunning second seeded NV Sundar Prashanth of Tamil Nadu to make the men`s singles final of the Vishwarupa Tubes National Grasscourt tennis championship.
The Delhi lad took 170 minutes to beat Prashanth 5-7, 7-5, 6-2 in a keenly contested clash at the Calcutta South Club. Ashutosh will now take on fifth seed P C Vignesh of Andhra Pradesh, who overcame Delhi qualifier Vivek Shokeen 6-4, 6-4.
It was a see saw battle in the first set with a lone break in the 11th game when Ashutosh failed to keep his serve as Prashanth took the set 7-5.
In second set, Ashutosh broke Prashanth in eighth game of the second set, which he bagged and then sealed the issue by winning the third one as well.
In another setback, fourth seed Sheethal Goutham of Karnataka ousted top seed Rushmi Chakravarthi 6-3, 1-6, 6-3 to make the women`s singles.
Gujarat`s wild card holder Ankita Raina caused the third upset when she came from behind to surprise local girl and second seed Shivika Burman 3-6, 6-2, 7-5.
From one-down position, Ankita clawed back into the match by capitalising on unforced errors from Shivika.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report