Qualifier Natasha shocks seeded Treta to enter final
Mumbai: Qualifier Natasha Palha of Goa knocked out third seed Treta Bhattacharya of Bengal in straight sets to enter the women’s singles final L&T All India Open tennis tournament here on Saturday.
The 16-year-old Natasha upset Treta 6-3, 6-2 to enter Sunday’s title contest against top seed Sheethal Goutham who found the going tough in the other semi final before subduing fourth seed Rashmi Teltumbe of Maharashtra 6-3, 0-6, 6-1 at Juhu Vile Parle Gymkhana Club.
“Having gone through three qualifying rounds, I was determined to do well in the main draw. But to reach so far was beyond my expectations,” said Natasha after her stunning victory.
In the earlier rounds, Natasha had accounted for another Bengal rival, second seed Shivika Burman.
Top seed P C Vignesh of Andhra Pradesh waged a three-hour struggle to get past third seed Ashutosh Singh of Delhi in three sets and enter the men’s singles final.
Vignesh, who awaits the winner of the other all-Tamil Nadu semi final between second seed Vijay Prashanth and sixth seed Mithun Murali in Sunday’s summit contest, won 6-7 (5), 7-6 (6),6-0.
Vignesh, who lost the first tie-breaker on a debatable service call from the chair umpire, kept his cool in the second set, that also went along with serves, before winning the tie-break 8-6 on a great service return and drop volley.
The third set saw a pumped up Vignesh, moving the ball around, forcing the tired Ashutosh into mistakes and winning the set without dropping a game.
Results (semi finals): Women’s singles: (1) Sheethal Goutham (Kar) bt (4) Rashmi Teltumbe (Mah) 6-3, 0-6,6-1; (Q) Natasha Palha (Goa) bt (3) Treta Bhattacharya 6-3, 6-2.
Men’s singles: (1) P C Vignesh (AP) bt (3) Ashutosh Singh (Dli) 6-7, 7-6, 6-0.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state