Qualifiers Cameroon set African World Cup record
London: Cameroon completed a fine recovery after a stuttering start to their World Cup qualifying campaign to reach the finals in South Africa with a 2-0 away win over Morocco on Saturday.
The Indomitable Lions have now qualified for an African-record six World Cup finals appearances.
Cameroon started the final day of Group A action just a point ahead of Gabon but their progress to South Africa was never in any doubt after they scored on 17 minutes against a depleted Morocco.
A shot from Spanish-based Achille Webo caught the home defence unawares.
Samuel Eto`o grabbed the second goal seven minutes into the second half with a shot from the outside of his boot after a header into the penalty box from Jean Makoun. It was his ninth goal in 11 starts in the 2010 qualifiers.
Cameroon had been bottom of the group standings in mid-year, leading to the firing of German coach Otto Pfister.
His replacement, Frenchman Paul LeGuen, engineered the recovery, appointing Eto`o as captain, and won four successive qualifiers to ensure top place in the group.
Cameroon finished on 13 points, four clear after Gabon lost away to Togo who won thanks to a 71st minute goal from Emmanuel Adebayor.
Before the match, Adebayor had promised to double his team mates` match bonus if they won.
Togo finished third in the group to secure an African Nations Cup final berth in Angola in January.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed