Queen mother`s `utter abhorrence` to Diana`s outbursts
London: The late Queen Mother reacted
with "utter abhorrence" to Princess Diana`s decision to "wash
the dirty linen in public" by disclosing details of the
breakdown of her marriage, according to her official
The book, Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother: The
Official Biography, which was published today, also describes
how she was dismayed by Prince Charles` decision to admit
adultery on a television programme.
The royal matriarch, who died in March 2002 aged 101,
suffered from colon cancer and had a tumour removed in 1966.
Queen Elizabeth, the widow of king George VI, was
"deeply shocked" when it emerged that Princess Diana had
collaborated with Andrew Morton on the book Diana: Her True
Story, which caused a sensation when it was published 17 years
"It is always a mistake to talk about your marriage,"
she told Sir Eric Anderson, in a series of previously
unpublished interviews, which were made available to the
biographer William Shawcross, chosen by Queen Elizabeth II to
write an account of her mother`s life.
"(Queen Elizabeth) had been sympathetic to both the
Princess of Wales and the Duchess of York over the enormous
pressures they faced from the media. But the washing of dirty
linen in public was utterly abhorrent to Queen Elizabeth,"
"She also regretted it when Prince Charles discussed
his private life in a wide-ranging series of interviews with
Jonathan Dimbleby," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jharkhand: 2 dead, several injured in clashes between police, villagers in Ramgarh
- Delhi minister meets Jain monk over Vishal Dadlani tweet controversy
- One killed in annual bull racing in Peru
- 16-year-old Indian-origin boy finds cure for breast cancer treatment
- Heartbreaking! Denied medical help, 12-year-old UP boy dies on dad's shoulder
- Here are some tips to style yourself in a Boho outfit
- It is inexcusable that Leander Paes reached Rio a day before doubles match: Mahesh Bhupathi
- Stopping exercise for 10 days decreases brain blood flow
- Learn it from Japan – It runs a train for single passenger! Know why
- Subramanian Swamy calls LG Najeeb Jung a “420 like Kejriwal”