Querrey annoyed by European domination
New York: American Sam Querrey bowed out of the fourth-round of the US Open and then said he was annoyed at the European domination on the men`s tour.
The 20th seed fell 7-6, 6-7, 7-5, 4-6, 6-4 to Swiss Stanislas Wawrinka in the fourth round at Flushing Meadows, leaving no American men in the last eight for the second successive year.
When Andy Roddick dropped out of the world`s top 10 at one stage last month, it marked the first time since the inception of the world rankings in 1973 that an American had not been included in the list.
Roddick is the only American man to have reached even the last eight of a grand-slam event in 2010, in Australia, and Querrey admitted it was not good enough.
"You (do) think about it - you guys tell me that every day I`m in here," Querrey told reporters. "I didn`t feel any extra pressure or anything. I definitely wanted to win and keep the American men, keep the hope going. I was close.”
"It`s annoying that the Europeans are in the quarters every slam (but) we`re trying."
Querrey battled for over four hours before falling to Wawrinka, who joined Roger Federer in the quarter-finals and marked the first time that two Swiss men have advanced to the last eight of a grand slam.
"We want to make the quarter-finals," Querrey said. "We`re trying our best. I was very close but next year is another year and hopefully we have a few guys in the quarters."
Despite his defeat, Querrey has enjoyed the best year of his career with four ATP titles to his name.
At 22, the American said he felt he was on the verge of breaking through with a big run at a grand slam.
"The last two slams, Wimbledon and here, I made the round of 16 and have been close to getting into the quarter-finals," he said. "Hopefully I can keep that up in the slams. I think I can win that round of 16 match, and keep winning matches after that."
Querrey is part of the United States team that will travel to Colombia for a Davis Cup World Group playoff tie this month. The United States have won the Davis Cup 32 times, more than any other country, but must win in Colombia to stay in the elite 16-team top group.
"It`s huge," Querrey admitted. "The US is a World Group country so we need to win this to get back in the World Group next year. We don`t want to be in Group B."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow